Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every t

From: Juergen Fenn
Subject: Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:45:21 +0200

Am 18.04.24 um 06:13 Uhr schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Evan Aad wrote:
>>> The main utility to query the system about the currently configured locale
>>> is
>>> the "locale" command.  What does it say?
>> LANG=""
>> LC_COLLATE="C"
>> LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
>> LC_MESSAGES="C"
>> LC_MONETARY="C"
>> LC_NUMERIC="C"
>> LC_TIME="C"
>> LC_ALL=
> This definitely confirms that LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 is not available on
> your Mac OS X system.  It is falling back to the internal C/POSIX
> locale.  I don't know anything about Mac OS and have no idea how to
> install additional locales there.

Just a comparison to my machine which is an M1 MB Air under Ventura with
a German localisation:

LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

On macOS the locale is set in system preferences on the language and
region tab. I suggest you give other options available there a try and
see what happens to your locale.

I wonder whether there is a locale en-IL at all on the Mac?

BTW, just in case, you will need exec-path-from-shell in order to access
environment variables in Emacs.

https://melpa.org/#/exec-path-from-shell

Regards,
Jürgen.