'GNU tools' versions and upgrades

From: David T-G
Subject: 'GNU tools' versions and upgrades
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:53:43 -0500

Hi!

I am a consultant dropped into a Sun/HP/Linux world where they use the
GNU toolset (or so they call it; I won't go into semantics) heavily.
They had been "numbering" their "revisions" based on the GNU Compiler
Tools and GNU Source Code CDs, and their last version was "gnu_13" from
the Edition 13 3-CD set released in 1999.

Meanwhile, lots of people here talk about, but cannot point to, some
"entirely new GNU version control system" built into the GNU framework,
but I've seen no news of anything like that (and I think they aren't
mistakenly referring to rcs or cvs, either).

1) Is there such a thing?  Has someone already invented the wheel of
maintaining software development tools so that the current version (eg
gcc/egcs) is available but so that someone can easily fall back to an
old version (eg gcc 2.92 or so) because the environment of an old project
dictates that?

2) Is there a mailing list or group that discusses this sort of
challenge?

TIA & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie