Member name contains `..'

From: Jean-Paul
Subject: Member name contains `..'
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:29:01 +0100 (BST)

As a newby I made a terrible mistake while making a tar archive from my
complete website (20 mb), for moving to another server.

I used a simple script i my directory scripts/
In that script i had the following command:
  Tar -czpvf www_backup.tar.gz ../www/

the ../ is became part of the name of the tarred files.
And now i get the following error message, trying to untar:

  Member name contains `..'

Now it seems impossible to untar the files.

Is there a way to get the files back again, or will they remain in the
.tar.gz for ever?

Hopefully someone knows a solution for this problem