Re: what is the regular expression that matches nothing? -- I think it i

From: Randy Yates
Subject: Re: what is the regular expression that matches nothing? -- I think it is the null expression. When I do "egrep '' somefile" the result is the same as when I do "cat somefile". The result of "egrep -v '' somefile" is, as expected, nothing. HTH
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:31:02 GMT

Then this is the regular expression that matches *everything*. I'm
looking for the opposite. I tried using the complement operator
("[^...]") but it appears to only operate on arguments inside the
brackets.

By the way, a regular expression is a regular expression is a regular
expression. If it works for grep, it should work for xemacs.

--RY

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."