Re: what is the regular expression that matches nothing?

From: me
Subject: Re: what is the regular expression that matches nothing?
Date: 24 Dec 2004 02:51:39 GMT

* Randy Yates:
> Then this is the regular expression that matches *everything*.

Suddenly *everything* and *nothing* look very similar.

> I'm looking for the opposite. I tried using the complement operator
> ("[^...]") but it appears to only operate on arguments inside the
> brackets.

Why don't you search for something random and large(ish) several times?

/(xjwp=qy@9e\.soktt!h{33}wlT4f,Ek>agC%Bpk)\1\1\1\1\1\1\1/

This one matches 8 repetitions of that thing above (including the 33
straight 'h's)

> By the way, a regular expression is a regular expression is a regular
> expression. If it works for grep, it should work for xemacs.

Some regular expressions are more regular than others :-)