Re: attempting to track down problem causing action.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: attempting to track down problem causing action.
Date: 25 Aug 2005 15:36:16 -0400

%% "Larry W. Virden" <lvirden@gmail.com> writes:

  lwv> I'm working in an environment with a source code management
  lwv> product called clearcase.  Clearcase allows me to use gnu make
  lwv> while building products.

Are you actually using GNU make, or are you using clearmake with GNU
emulation?

  lwv> Right now, when I do a make, things go along until suddenly I get a
  lwv> "Memory fault" and the processing stops.  However, I'm not able to
  lwv> determine what specifically gnu make is doing that is getting the
  lwv> memory fault.

You should get a core dump.  You can then debug the core dump with a
debugger, like GDB, to get information on the stack etc. when the bug
occurred.

For example, if you have a file "core" generated by make (use "file
core" to make sure), you can say:

    gdb /path/to/make core

then use a command like "bt" to show the backtrace.

  lwv> I've tried gmake -n and gmake -d, but neither output was helpful
  lwv> in tracking this down.  What I need is some method of knowing
  lwv> what, specifically, gmake is doing at each step.

The -d flag is the best you can get.

You could also try strace but that only shows system calls.

If you need more help please remember to include the version of GNU make
you're using and the operating system/version you're using it on.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: