Remote backup using GNU tar doesn't work

From: Saurabh Barve
Subject: Remote backup using GNU tar doesn't work
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:06:49 -0600

Hi,

I'm trying to do a remote backup of system to a tape drive connected to another
system. I have set up public key authentication between the systems, so that I
can log in as root without passwords. The setup is like this:

Tape Drive----System A<----->System B

I want to write data from System B on to tape in the tape drive connected to System A.
To test the connection, I do:

[System A]# ssh System B tar -b 512 --rsh-command=/usr/bin/ssh -tvf System
A:/dev/nst0

However, this gives me an error:

---
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).
tar: SystemA\:/dev/nst0: Cannot open: Input/output error
---

Allocating a pseudo-TTY helps in getting the remote tar command to work. But
I'm prompted to enter my key passphrase:

---
[System A]# ssh -t System B tar -b 512 --rsh-command=/usr/bin/ssh -tvf System
A:/dev/nst0

Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/id_rsa':
---

However, I want this to be non-interactive. I can run the tar command locally on System B and it works fine.
I am running tar-1.15 on both machines. On System A, I'm running OpenSSH 4.2p1,
and on System B I'm running OpenSSH 3.6.1p2

Is there a way to do what I want?

Thanks,
Saurabh
"Yours is to work. The results will take care of themselves" -- Swami Vivekanand --------------------------------------------------------------------------