Proposed Enhancement for 'diff'

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Proposed Enhancement for 'diff'
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:10:25 -0600

I have used diff for many years and could not get along without it.
However, I have three suggestions that would be helpful to me (and
maybe others):

1.  Similar to the "exclude" options for recursive operations, develop
a set of "include" options.  That would help for many common
situations where we want a quick look at directory comparisons but
only for files ending in, say, /\.txt/.

2.  Allow a user-supplied string to separate the two halves of a
side-by-side output format.

3.  When using side-by-side format, have diff output the length of the
longest line found for all the files seen.  That would allow us to
redo the diff without truncation.

I have downloaded the source and will see if I can propose patches,
but perhaps these ideas are already being considered or there is an
easy work-around.

Thanks.

-Tom

Tom Browder