Proposed Enhancements for 'diff' (2)

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Proposed Enhancements for 'diff' (2)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:57:04 -0600

I thought of one more enhancement that would make diff a killer app:

  Incorporate the functionality of GNU 'numdiff' into diff.

Numdiff requires the files to be "putatively" similar, meaning that
all lines are similar.  Numdiff does not have the capability to find
similar lines like diff, but if diff could provide the similar lines
to numdiff, then its options and algorithm could be applied.

At the moment I am using a Perl driver (work in progress) to provide
diff output on two files, then use that output to provide line pairs
to numdiff for comparison.  That process would be obsolete if numdiff
were incorporated into diff.

Thanks for listening.

-Tom