[Help-gnucap] modelling digital control of PWM circuits

From: John Vodden
Subject: [Help-gnucap] modelling digital control of PWM circuits
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 18:16:14 +0000

Hi

I am trying to find out if gnucap's mixed-mode capabilities are suitable
for my purposes. Basically, I am trying to model digital control of PWM
inverter/rectifier circuits using ideal switches. I understand that
gnucap models switches as "time-dependant linear devices" and adjusts
the simulation timing accordingly.

Is it possible to write an external model that can set when the
switches will operate?  Ideally, this model would be triggered at regular
intervals (rather like a timed interrupt)  and perform calculations based
on current or voltage measurements to determine the instant at which the
 switches should change state and somehow schedule the change of state
to take place (perhaps adjusting the control voltage of a voltage dependant
switch?)

I have read about the model compiler in the stable version of gnucap but
I get the impression that this is somewhat obsolete? I also think that
the development version is more sophisticated than the stable release
but I am struggling to find documentation. I would greatly appreciate it
if someone could point me in the right direction of where to start with
this, or alternatively send me on my way if this is not something that
gnucap is able to do.

Thanks

John

Please ignore the following disclaimer:

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.