Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet-check segfaults (broken gdbm files?)

From: Benjamin Kay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet-check segfaults (broken gdbm files?)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:19:37 +0000

> c) Prevent this happening to me again. Is mysql more robust, and
> maybe faster?

I have found that mysql is faster (almost twice as fast on my slow machine)
and more robust than gdbm, and that it has a slightly better compression
ratio. More importantly, I can kill gnunetd while its indexing (as in
SIGKILL, not SIGTERM) and not have segfaults when I start it back up :-)

Be forewarned, mysqld will consume a lot of RAM, as keeping stuff in RAM is
faster than keeping it on the HD. Of course, mysqld will still let other
processes use RAM when they need to - just don't be alarmed if you see RAM
usage associated with gnunet jump after switching to mysql.

>  Is it hard to set up gnunet with mysql?

Not at all! The process is outlined in great detail in
src/applications/afs/module/high_mysql.c
(check out your CVS directory or source tree).
Just follow the instructions there and be sure to check the file after version
updates as those instructions are liable to change. Then, change DATABASETYPE
from "gdbm" to "mysql" in the config, and don't forget to run nano
"gnunet-convert" after switching DB types to migrate your old database.