Re: [Help-gnunet] How to use namespace ?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] How to use namespace ?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:04:40 +0530

On Wednesday 11 Aug 2004 3:13 am, Yannick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Despite my searches (documentation, FAQ (official and unofficial), man
> pages, forum, help mailling-list), i still do not know how to use
> namespace. I know... Shame on me to not know how to use search facilities.
> But i tried my best and just found... myself stupid. ;)

Did you read http://ovmj.org/GNUnet/download/ecrs.ps?  That's the text that
describes everything on a conceptual level.

> It seems there is a tool called "gnunet-search-sblock" which can help, but
> i don't find it in the 0.6.3a release.

I wonder where you got a reference to that tool -- gnunet-search-sblock was
merged into gnunet-search a while back (and grep'ing through the 'official'
docs I can't find it referenced anywhere; if you recall where you found the
reference please let me know such that I can update it).

> It seems alsa there is a menu in the gnunet-gtk called Advenced -> Search
> Namespace, but i don't know what to fill in the 2 field called "Namespace
> identifier" and "Search key identifier", whatever i do, i got "must specify
> valid ENC code for namespace".

The current UI is a bit awful at this point.  Anyway, the most important thing
here is that for now you need to *be given* a namespace URI out-of-band. That
URI contains the required ENC value and search-key identifier.  If you insert
a file into a namespace that you created, the resulting URI will be displayed
(by gnunet-insert or in the status messages of gnunet-gtk).  In order to
insert a file into YOUR namespace, you need to:
a) create a pseudonym
b) use gnunet-insert with specific options to insert a file directly into the
namespace (man gnunet-insert) or
b') first (!) enable 'COLLECT-FILE-IDENTIFIERS' (user gnunet.conf), then
insert a file (gnunet-insert or gnunet-gtk) and finally insert file into
namespace (gnunet-gtk, Advanced menu).

I hope this helps (improving pseudonym/namespace management is high on my list
of features to look into; suggestions welcome).

Christian