Re: [Help-gnunet] Gnunet-gtk ; gnunetd fails to start

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Gnunet-gtk ; gnunetd fails to start
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:27:53 -0500

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 01:56 pm, Alex wrote:
> When I try to launch gnunetd from gnunet-gtk, i get the following error :
>     Oct 27 20:48:09 FAILURE: 'exec' failed at helper.c:631 with error:
> No such file or directory
>     Oct 27 20:48:09 FAILURE: Attempted path to 'gnunetd' was 'gnunetd'.

Well, that means that gnunetd was not found.  Is it in your path?

> I have looked in the sourcecode, and in helper.c, there is call to the
> getConfigurationString function like this :
>             getConfigurationString("MAIN", "ARGV[0]")
>
> ok for "MAIN" section, although i have no MAIN section in my gnunet
> configuration files, ~/.gnunet/gnunet.conf
>     or /etc/gnunet.conf,  but I dont understand why "ARGV[0]" option
>
> usually the getConfigurationString is used like this, for example :
>        getConfigurationString("NETWORK","HOST");
> where NETWORK is a section that I have in the ~/.gnunet/gnunet.conf
> configuration file and HOST in the section NETWORK.
>
> Any ideas ?

Sure, there's some magic trickery at work here :-).  Look for
"setConfigurationString("MAIN", "ARGV[0]", argv[0]) in util/initialize.c.
Not everything you get with 'getConfigurationString' originates from
gnunet.conf!

Now, the whole argv[0] business is about finding gnunetd even if it is not in
your path (by using the path to gnunet-gtk and assuming that gnunetd is in
the same directory).  I don't know why that is not working in your case, but
maybe with these hints you can tell what is going wrong & tell us what may
need to be fixed?

Christian