Re: [Help-gnunet] Minimum hardware requirements

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Minimum hardware requirements
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:35:47 -0500

On Thursday 28 October 2004 15:20, John E. Kreznar wrote:
> "N. Durner" <address@hidden> writes:
> > I am running GNUnet on a Pentium Classic/100 with 32 MB RAM.
> > The system is usually ~30% idle.
>
> That's encouraging.  Are you using reduced disk quota and directory
> database to keep memory requirement low, as Christian Grothoff
> suggests?  What quota?
>
> Maybe the 16 MB Pentium 166 here will work, after all.  I had
> initially used a 35 GB quota and gdbm database, not knowing these
> needed RAM.  The machine choked on eight gnunetd processes, each with
> RSS 5228, DRS 200423.

You don't get 8 gnunetd processes with that much memory 'each'.  It is one
process, but ps/top report all of the 8 threads, and the memory is shared, so
there is no multiplier by 8.  Nevertheless, the memory consumption of the
configuration you described of course kills such a machine, even with just
one process :-).