Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet 0.7.0c released

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet 0.7.0c released
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:41:49 -0800

On Monday 27 March 2006 14:02, David Kuehling wrote:

> >> From http://gnunet.org/libextractor/documentation.php?xlang=English :
> >
> > If the need for 200 MB of memory to compile libextractor seems
> > mysterious, the answer lies in these plugins. In order to be able to
> > perform a fast dictionary search, a bloomfilter is created that allows
> > fast probabilistic matching; gcc finds the resulting datastructure a
> > bit hard to swallow.
>
> But I just wondered why the data had to be passed through GCC?  The
> binary data could be read from an external file.  Or if they really need
> to be linked into the resulting shared library, why not put them in
> there _directly_ i.e. with objcopy:
>
> objcopy --input-target=binary --binary-architecture=elf32-i386 \
>         bloomfilter.dat library.o
>
> or something...

Well, that may work for GNU systems (with working objcopy), but it is not
portable.  In my opinion, gcc should just be improved to handle large in-line
arrays.  External files are also not a good solution: it would be slower and
also cause more/additional/other problems for people building packages (more
files to handle / install).

Christian