Re: [Help-gnunet] Hardware requirements for running GNUnet

From: DocMalloc
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Hardware requirements for running GNUnet
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:04:24 +0200

On Thu, 2015-06-25 at 18:03 +0100, Geeb wrote:
> Hello!
> Are there any recommended hardware requirements for the running of
> GNUnet?

A device with "reasonable" resources should be sufficient. We run gnunet
on a raspberry pi and rather old machines.

> Many of the GNUnet tools have a GTK GUI, and whilst there will almost
> certainly be underlying command-line ways of achieving the same
> results, the documentation commonly refers to the the GUI tools. GUI
> stuff kind of implies desktop machines.

The gui is not required to run gnunet, all functionality can be accessed
using command line tools.

> I'm sure I read somewhere in the documentation that ideally, the
> GNUnet host should be permanently powered up and connected to the
> Internet.

The usual peer-to-peer paradigm applies here: the network expects peers
to join and leave the network frequently without prior coordination.

> Small low-powered PC-on-a-board ARM type hardware (e.g. Raspberry Pi
> etc) would be certainly more economical to run 24/7 to this ends.

gnunet runs fine on a raspberry pi.

> These type of hosts would obviously be under-powered compared to the
> average desktop machine. Would this be a serious problem for a GNUnet
> host?

nope...

matthias