Re: Questions about using gnunet to build an application

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Questions about using gnunet to build an application
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 23:09:59 +0200

On 10/20/22 17:26, Hendursaga wrote:

-   I saw in the docs that gnunet uses proof-of-work in a couple places (NSE
and Revocation), would this work well on something like a smartphone? If not,
are there alternatives in the works?
There was a PhD position posted recently[2] concerning creating Taler wallets
that could work on embedded systems, and since GNU Taler is listed on the
applications page[3], presumably a smartphone could work, unless I'm missing
something.

We don't use PoW for payments, and sadly GNU Taler can't be used for the uses of PoW in NSE or Revocation. But, that said, our PoWs are also nowhere as expensive as those for cryptocurrencies ;-).