Building applications without AGPL restriction

From: marty1885
Subject: Building applications without AGPL restriction
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 05:48:45 +0000

Hi,

I've been interested in GNUnet for quite a while now. Recently I got time to
learn the API and be able to build a C++ wrapper for some of the subsystems.
It's fun!

Now I want to build applications using GNUnet. As I understand, GNUnet is
licensed under AGPL thus my application also has to be AGPL. But it may not be
suitable for my use case.

For example I want to show GNUnet stats on my personal website. Or some REST
that exposes GNUnet metadata, FS proxy for download, DHT get/put, etc.. Which
enable others to have easy-ish access to GNUnet. But I don't want to force them
to also use AGPL. (Or even some security/commercial application in the future.)

Is it possible to let applications be licensed under BSD/MIT/LGPL (or even via
special clauses in GNUnet) without complicating the code?

I know this is a long shot. But no harm to ask.

Best Regards,

Martin