Re: Building applications without AGPL restriction

From: madmurphy
Subject: Re: Building applications without AGPL restriction
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:48:55 +0200

Just to be precise, (A)GPL does not force people to license their contributions under (A)GPL, it only ask contributions to be licensed under a compatible license (and that includes BSD, MIT, etc.).

Independently of that, if you contribute to a project it is always good practice to stick to the project's original license, no matter what that is (and many projects actually require it). If instead you write code on your own that is only only linked against (A)GPL code (but it is not a direct contribution to the upstream stack), you are totally free to choose the compatible license that best suits you.

My personal opinion is that, indepdentently of GNUnet, people should never use anything different from a copyleft license. And among copyleft licenses AGPL is probably the best designed license.

If you want to license your C++ wrapper under BSD you can – GNUnet's license will never affect the license of your wrapper. However, as long as your wrapper is used in conjunction with GNUnet, the requirements of both licenses will apply, and that means that the requirements of the AGPL will prevail. But your wrapper will always be licensed under BSD and nothing will change that.

The question is then less legalese and more philosophical: why would you ever want to release code under a license that gives less rights to your non-programmer users and more rights to your programmer users?

My two cents

--madmurphy