Re: Unable to detach thread

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Unable to detach thread
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:12:26 -0700

Sébastien Pierre wrote:

Le vendredi, 15 nov 2002, à 05:08 Europe/Paris, Adam Fedor a écrit :

Well there's really only two possibilities. Either the runtime wasn't compiled with threads, or there's a problem with the lower-level thread library.

You could check in gnustep-make, the config.make file, 'objc_threaded' should have a thread library to link to.

Hi Adam,

You're right, there was no objc_threaded library. I had to specify --with-thread-lib="-L /usr/lib -lpthread" on my Debian system when recompiling gnustep-make.

Maybe there is something wrong in the GNUstep make 1.5.0 configure script, because the pthread lib was in /usr/lib, so it should have been found. This would slightly ease the process of installing GNUstep-make. I would also add that some Unixes (like Darwin) do not have a pthread lib, because it seems like the pthreads are defined within the system library, and I'm not sure GNUstep would be thread-enabled in this case.

Thanks a lot for your advice anyway, because I now have a working port of my application :)

Well that's even weirder, since the Objective-C runtime (libobjc) needs to be compiled to use threads also, but if it was, why didn't you get a link error when -lpthreads was not included?

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you