Re: Frmework or Kit for Inspector

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Frmework or Kit for Inspector
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:42:48 +0000

On 11 Feb 2006, at 16:02, Guilhem BONNEFILLE wrote:

Hi,

For my first application, I wish to build an inspector panel in order to
allow the user set some properties. I looked for some other
applications, but it seems that inspector is build from scratch each
time.

As it is an important element of the GUI standard of OpenStep/ GNUStep, I
cannot imagine I have to build inspector from scratch.

Is there any framework or kit that easy the build of an inspector and
allow easy interaction with the gaphical objects I offer to the user?

My understanding of the term 'inspector' does not refer to an application, but rather to a panel within an application, which lets you look at some information and (usually) change it. Because the things being inspected vary wildly, the contents of an inspector generally vary a lot, and about the only thing co0mmon to all inspectors is that they reside in panels ... for which we have the NSPanel object.

Maybe you could describe what you think a generic inspector should do?