Re: Frmework or Kit for Inspector

From: Guilhem BONNEFILLE
Subject: Re: Frmework or Kit for Inspector
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:29:26 +0100

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:42:48 +0000
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

> My understanding of the term 'inspector' does not refer to an
> application, but rather to a panel within an application, which lets
> you look at some information and (usually) change it.  Because the
> things being inspected vary wildly, the contents of an inspector
> generally vary a lot, and about the only thing co0mmon to all
> inspectors is that they reside in panels ... for which we have the
> NSPanel object.
>
> Maybe you could describe what you think a generic inspector should do?

I'm a GNUStep beginner, I'm surely wrong.

It seems that an inspector have a special design: a drop-down menu at
the top (replaced in nowadays GUI by tabs) and corresponding widgets
below a rule.
What I expect, is something that allow me to concentrate only in the
parts below the rule (just call these parts specific parts).
I imagine a GSInspector where I register, at the init time, all the
specific parts.
Next, when the user select an object, I only have to inform the
GSInspector about the object selected. The GSInspector does itself all
the job to select which specific parts whould be available now and which
should be hiden. Perhaps, something else should be precised at the
register time in order to allow such selection (a class or protocol). Or
perhaps the selection could be done via introspection.

Is it insane idea?
--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE
-=- #UIN: 15146515 JID: guyou@im.apinc.org MSN: