Re: keyboard not working in GWorkspace and other smaller problems

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: keyboard not working in GWorkspace and other smaller problems
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 07:52:58 -0000

HI,

> > I have
> > NSGlobalDomain GSX11HandlesWindowDecorations NO
> > I tried to set this to YES, but then every window lacks the title
> > bar, not
> > only the terminal windows.
>
> That sounds like a window manager problem ... if an xterm is not
> getting keyboard events or a title bar then most likely no window
> manager is running.  Perhpas when you changed the startup files to
> launch GWorkspace yoiu accidentally removed/disabled your window
> manager startup?

yes, that seems to be the case, when I remove my .xsession, then I get the
fvwm back, when I then start openapp GWorkspace the xterm has its window title
bar and the keyboard is working as expected.
as it still seems a bit flaky with the fvwm, I'll go install windowmaker and
try that.

> > this is the same when I login locally or when I do a
> > X -query bsdhost
> >
> > when I ssh -X into the OpenBSD box, and then start
> > openapp GWorkspace
> > and then open a terminal window, it has a window title bar (from my
> > kde theme
> > which I run locally) and I can enter commands into the xterm window.
> > unfortunately the GWorkspace interferes with the locally running
> > KDE, windows
> > pop up, sometimes kde grabs shortcuts which are meant for gworkspace.
>
> I guess the kde window manager doesn't work well with gnustep
> apps ... you could try using windowmaker instead.
I will not change it on my local desktop, but on the remote bsd box, I'll do
that, and then just X -query bsdbox and switch the desktops

> > another thing I recognized:
> > when I started GWorkspace from ssh connection, and open a xterm
> > window and
> > issue a defaults read I get the following messge:
> >
> > $ defaults read
> > defaults: can't load library 'libgnustep-base.so.1.12'
> > $
> >
> > the defaults command works well, after I sourced the GNUstep.sh
> > file, but not
> > later after starting openapp GWorkspace and opening a terminal window.
> >
> > is there anything I can do about that?
>
> I don't know bsd, but in gnu/linux you put the gnustep library
> directories in /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig so that the system
> knows about them ... otherwise you need to make sure that the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is properly set up to list them
> in any shell you start.  Sourcing GNUstep.sh does that for you (in
> the current shell)
there is no /etc/ld.so.conf in openbsd, but thats not a problem. I can export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH somewhere automatically, I was just wondering why the defaults
command was working with a sourced GNUstep.sh. but then after starting openapp
GWorkspace it did not work anymore. I did not expected it to "disappear".

thanks
Sebastian