help-gnuzilla

Build Icecat for Android

From: chippy
Subject: Build Icecat for Android
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:43:13 +0200

Hi all,

Is anyone currently building Icecat for Android?
If so, maybe we can share instructions/scripts for this particular type
of build?
I'm been trying the data/buildscripts but unfortunately it does not
seem to work for me (besides sdk/ndk versions from toolchain-android.sh
are bit past date, git says 6 years ago), I also tried the instructions
at mozilla.org (planning to apply makeicecat after a successful dry
run) but it did not work for me as I ended up with zip files instead of
an apk (here also my ignorance on "building apps for Android" plays a
fairly relevant part).
The only working attempt was by using gradle with this repository
https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/firefox-android , but honestly i do
not find and/or recognize the source files against wich to run
makeicecat.
I've also been looking at the jenkins build log from f-droid but it's
an awful amount of work, and it's not sure it's gonna work because it's
from version 60~...
I'm also looking into
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/wikis/Hacking#building-android-tor-browser
which shed some light on the several components needed to build
Firefox/Icecat/Torbrowser for Android but it would be so much better
having an up to date script in this very repository so anyone can
consistently contribute and/or use it for their mobile, I'm sure many
people out there would like to build and use Icecat on their mobile.

Thank you all in advance,
Chippy