help-grub

Re: Pass parameters to kernel when using chainloader method.

From: Narcis Garcia
Subject: Re: Pass parameters to kernel when using chainloader method.
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 07:31:26 +0100

El 25/12/20 a les 10:36, Pascal Hambourg ha escrit:
> Le 25/12/2020 à 03:02, Hongyi Zhao a écrit :
>> On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 10:34 PM Pascal Hambourg
>> <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

>>> What kind of chainloading ?
>>>
>>> With EFI stub chainloading, you can append kernel parameters to the
>>> command line :
>>>
>>> chainloader /EFI/stub/vmlinuz initrd=/EFI/stub/initrd.img root=...
>>
>> Do you mean I can use the following form?:
>>
>> chainloader ... nomodeset ...
>
> Yes.
>
>>> With BIOS chainloading, I'm afraid you cannot pass parameters.
>>
>> Why?
>
> AFAIK BIOS chainloading just loads a 512-byte boot sector which does not
> take any parameters, unlike an EFI executable or kernel image.

As I did understand, and please make me the right correction (or link
documentation):
BIOS calls MBR
MBR loads/calls GRUB
GRUB chainloads to disk sector where kernel begins.

Last step does not allow to pass parameters because GRUB just loads
first 512 bytes of OS kernel?