help-grub

Re: Pass parameters to kernel when using chainloader method.

From: David Balažic
Subject: Re: Pass parameters to kernel when using chainloader method.
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 12:18:51 +0100

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 07:31, Narcis Garcia via Support requests for
the GRand Unified Bootloader <help-grub@gnu.org> wrote:

> As I did understand, and please make me the right correction (or link
> documentation):
> BIOS calls MBR
> MBR loads/calls GRUB
> GRUB chainloads to disk sector where kernel begins.
>
> Last step does not allow to pass parameters because GRUB just loads
> first 512 bytes of OS kernel?

No, it loads the entire kernel, but that is a different command ("linux").
The chainloader loads a boot sector (or more of them). This is the
"chainloader" command. It is usually used to load and runa another
boot loader, not directly an OS.

Regards,
David