help-grub

Re: search --label not working on mmcblk

From: Matthias Schoepfer
Subject: Re: search --label not working on mmcblk
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:29:43 +0200

Hi Andrei

On 10/26/21 5:02 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On 26.10.2021 12:38, Matthias Schoepfer wrote:
Hi!

I have quite a funny behavior that I am not able to grasp. I am using
grub on an "embedded" device to switch between two root file system
partitions (A / B update schema). To set / read the partition, I use the
grubenv. This part works as a charm.

Now I switched to eMMC as storage. I gave it a gpt partition table and
besides a EFI parition, I have the root partition labeled rootfs1 and
rootfs2. Since the numbers of the devices may be different when for
example a USB drive is attached, I am using the PARTLABELs for getting
the root device.

While

search --label rootfs1

It searches for filesystem label, not for partition label.

Ah, that was my problem. I noticed there was a patch some time ago

https://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@gnu.org/msg31165.html

I applied it and now it seems to work as expected.

I wonder, why this patch never made it upsteam...

Regards,

   Matthias