help-guix

Re: DBus with SDDM, Sway, and optionally fish

From: Sébastien Lerique
Subject: Re: DBus with SDDM, Sway, and optionally fish
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 09:55:43 +0900

Hi Joshua,

Great that you have the same setup :)

With the two changes above (setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in
.profile, and patching wayland-session), apps can connect to dbus inside Sway. But this seems extremely hacky. Is there maybe a better way to make sure SDDM+Sway(+fish) is set up properly as a desktop
enviroment? Is it time to make a `sway-desktop-service-type`?

I'm all game for the above. ^ I've been working on that for a while
now.  I've work coding on said problem on my video channel here:

https://video.hardlimit.com/my-library/video-playlists/06baf279-76ea-406a-a24d-2fcfefecbf35

I'll tag the below code. It's the basic define-record-type* that people
may find useful in generating the sway config file.

I'm taking a break from writing the sway service, because I couldn't figure out how to get the darn service to start. So now I'm working on
and endlessh service.  (I actually posted a patch here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2021-03/msg00672.html)

Here is my current sway-service.scm code

Thanks for sharing that! It's a bit too far from what I know for me to be able to contribute right now, but I'll be sure to come back to the thread if one day I have the time.

Sébastien