help-guix

attempted ca-certificates package

From: tyler parks
Subject: attempted ca-certificates package
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 06:11:28 -0500

Hello,

I'm new to Guix (and Scheme) and trying to get ca-certificates working in
Guix System. I intend to use Guix System on an old PC for a router, with
Pi-Hole as the DNS server atop it, and ca-certificates is a dependency for
Pi-Hole. The makefile of ca-certificates appears to just copy a bunch of
bash scripts into a given installation directory. I've convinced the
makefile to install those scripts into  /gnu/store on a Guix System laptop,
but it seems none of them are appearing in the path; I get a "command not
found" error trying to test the update-ca-certificates script after
installing the package. Sourcing the Guix profile after installing the
package didn't help. I'd appreciate any insight into how to resolve the
"command not found" error.

This is the ca-certificates package I wrote:
(define ca-certificates
(package
(name "ca-certificates")
;no recent tagged releases, used latest master commit at time of writing
(version "2021.10.04")

; use opensuse version since debian version has no license
(home-page "https://github.com/openSUSE/ca-certificates";)

(synopsis "Utilities for system wide CA certificate installation")
(license license:gpl2)
(description "Utilities for system wide CA certificate
installation.\nupdate-ca-certificates
is intended to keep the certificate stores of
various components in sync with the system CA certificates.")
(source
(origin
(method git-fetch)
(uri (git-reference (url "https://github.com/openSUSE/ca-certificates";)
(commit "3efbea9d908d0ecf3678aeef8ade884c0c155175")))
(sha256 "0rw2b2jqlflx171mc9f4xzhj7zgxhacdyasjqsgnrj4iir97k07j")
))
(build-system gnu-build-system)
(arguments
`(
; change DESTDIR, so makefile does not need root to install
#:make-flags (list (string-append "DESTDIR=" (assoc-ref %outputs "out")))
#:phases
(modify-phases %standard-phases
; makefile does not have these targets
(delete 'configure)
(delete 'check)
))
)
)
)

The tree of the installed /gnu/store directory looks like this:
/gnu/store/yp99k9yhmi3a1bvx5w994l6akxkxqcy5-ca-certificates-2021.10.04/
├── share
│   └── doc
│       └── ca-certificates-2021.10.04
│           └── COPYING
└── usr
    ├── lib
    │   ├── ca-certificates
    │   │   └── update.d
    │   │       ├── 50java.run
    │   │       ├── 70openssl.run
    │   │       ├── 80etc_ssl.run
    │   │       └── 99certbundle.run
    │   └── systemd
    │       └── system
    │           ├── ca-certificates.path
    │           └── ca-certificates.service
    ├── sbin
    │   └── update-ca-certificates
    └── share
        └── man
            └── man8
                └── update-ca-certificates.8

This is the error I get trying to run update-ca-certificates on Guix System
after installing the ca-certificates package with `guix package -f`:
~$ update-ca-certificates
-bash: update-ca-certificates: command not found

V/R
Tyler Parks