help-guix

Re: EFI boot: 'could not prepare Boot variable: Invalid argument'

From: post
Subject: Re: EFI boot: 'could not prepare Boot variable: Invalid argument'
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 07:58:00 +0000

On 2022-11-06 23:21, Felix Lechner wrote:
My diagnosis was wrong. Your EFI variables are accessible. How about
the output of 'efibootmgr'?

The hardware is a 2009 macbook, I believe can only boot through EFI (no BIOS compatibility mode or anything, AFAIU). efibootmgr reports (ominously)

BootCurrent: 0000
No BootOrder is set; firmware will attempt recovery
BootFFFF*

I've attached the grub.cfg of the first failing generation (that is: I managed to boot into this generation, but now 'guix system reconfigure' runs into the EFI issue).

Somewhat embarrassingly, the last fully working generation is also the last generation with the linux-libre kernel. I don't know if you'd still like to help me try to restore a working system with linux-libre, or if that also conflicts with this list's policy on discussion of nonfree software. If not, that is of course understandable, and I'll try to figure it out another way (or, more likely given my limited experience in this area, attempt a complete fresh install ;-) ).

Thomas

Can you post the Grub configuration of the failing setup? It should
show the past (good) configurations?

I've also read about rEFInd

I have used that program to boot into a Linux kernel via its EFI stub,
but it is my least favorite option.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner