help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] A few levels

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] A few levels
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 01:00:43 +0200

Kasper Hviid a écrit :
> Hello again
>
>>> Idea: A blender effect, where the warriors are pushed around, and
[...]
> I should probably explain my idea again, in a more understandable way.
[...]
> I talked about was a gravity field at the center of the level, which
> attracted the fighters, combined with a force which pushed them
> clockwise around the level.
OK now I get it!

> That being said, I don't know how hard such physics would be to
> implement, nor how much it will slow down the game. But I think it
> could add some nice variation to the gameplay, and more important,
> make the the game feel more real. Simulation of physics impressed me a
> great deal in games like Scorched Earth. Most other games at the time
> consisted of sprites moving about in a much more rigid fashion. In
> modern FPS, ragdolls physics has has added some degree of physics to
> games which otherwise are as rigid as Wolfenstein.
I perfectly agree, nice physics can really enhance a game. I think it's
doable to implement such features in LW6. I can't tell wether this
peculiar effect is performance compliant - performance is the only
limit, theorically I could implement almost anything, as far as game
logic is concerned - but it's an interesting field to explore.

> Of course. I have looked a bit into font creation. I throught it would
> be nice to have a special font for the game. One obstacle is that that
> there is quite a few letters to be created, if forein characters are
> to be included. Most fonts only have the letters from A to Z, not
> letters like ÆØÅÄÖÜÄÖÜß.
> I have attached a screenshot from Font Creator 5.0, to illustrate my
> woe. Another obstacle is that the special font should make the GUI
> look better, not worse.
Yep.

> style.xml gives quite a lot of power to the level designer. He can
> chose what HUD to use on the level, and also which GUI to use for the
> menu. I like power just as much as any other designer, but how will
> this be recieved by the player? It might look more like a bug than a
> feature, if the HUD/GUI changes from level to level.
Note that this HUD/GUI fancy stuff requires the HUD to be...
implemented. Believe me, this will drastically limit the number of
available huds 8-) More seriously, I acknowledge that hardcore
flexibility and "power given to users" very often confuses them more
than it helps and/or pleases them. But... we don't *need* to use this on
all levels. As a side note, I'd like LW6 to be usable with a simple
joypad. That is -> 8 keys (4 arrows + ABCD). I want to keep it simple.
My 3 year old daughter might help me a lot designing something usable ;)

IMHO the best would be to ship the game with some neatly packaged
levels, and offer for download, in a separate package, the rest of them.
Might even be a community maintained depot: upload your level, that's
it. For now I put everything in the main tarball for I'm in beta stage
and just want to test out code, concepts, gameplay and the rest, but the
"6.0.0" version might look a bit different.

> Here is the next batch of levels:
> www.kasperhviid.dk/stuff/lw6levels2.rar
OK thanks a lot, I must see that!

> Things to come: I'm working on a few labyrints. I also have some
> shapes which I think would make some nice maps, but I have a bit of
> trouble making them look cool. One of my ideas is a level with a
> porthole, where you can look out at the water (bubbles). I would also
> like to make some maps inspired by the repetition aspect of fractals.
> And some more bright and fun levels, maybe trying some high key or
> pastel colors.
About your fractal stuff, note that it's possible to "wrap" arround
levels. This is done in the alpha/wrap/infinite level.

> 30. december is my birthday. I will then become 30 years old,
> something I look foreward to with great fear. If I happen to survive
> this, I will the following day experience the dawn of a brand new
> year. Not just any year, but the year 2008 - the year when, according
> to the Liquid War roadmap, I should officially begin adding artwork.
> Just for the fun of it, I will set 30. december 2007 as a personal
> deadline for the next collection of levels.
Wow, that's a deadline!

I really must get rid of this boring network code - which isn't actually
boring but sort of complex given what I want to do - this way we'll be
able to play online, which should, well, give LW6 more interest.

Stay tuned.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

- --
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__
Liquid War 6 - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/     / _")\~ \~/
"Les amis de la vérité sont ceux qui la cherchent et non _/ /   /_ o_\
ceux qui se vantent de l'avoir trouvée" - Condorcet     (__/      \/