help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Extra maps package

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Extra maps package
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 01:53:29 +0200

Hello there,

Christian Mauduit a écrit :
> BTW, I've started to split the package into a core "liquidwar6" and a
> "liquidwar6-extra-maps" package. I believe the name of the new born
> package is understandable. The idea would be to put here "all other
> maps", and keep in the core package only a reduced set of maps. As I see
> it, there would be in the core package only:
> - - 5 Mb of your maps. They are very good I think, pretty much what's best
> today in terms of LW levels. I say 5Mb for now you're "up to 4,8Mb"
> uncompressed, with 14 levels. I'd say between 10 and 20 (15?) nice
> levels is perfect for a start. Players can discover the game this way,
> see its possibilities, then download the rest. This doesn't mean I think
> you should draw "only one more level". Nope, you could decide to keep
> these, or draw new ones, the big picture is just to say: pick up what
> you think is the best, and I'll put it in the main package, the rest
> will anyways go "-extra-maps". Do not even bother to make them light,
> they just need to be nice & playable, so that players think "wow, this
> is cool".
> - - 1 Mb of "my maps". I'm not a great map designer, but I've a good
> knowledge of what's technically feasible or not, so I would draw a bunch
> of very very light "concept" maps, which would just show of technical
> features. No fancy artwork, just feature. My style ;) I can fit this
> kind of maps in about 30kb, so I could ideally put up to 30 of them.
>
> What do you think of it?
>
> With this in mind, we should keep the main core package under 10Mb
> compressed (with all the other graphics & sounds, maps aren't the only
> heavy files...), which is "sort of reasonnable".
>
> The "-extra-maps" can simply have no limits ;-)

I'm a trifle nervous that the "LW6 expansion pack" might be kind of
forgotten by the players. But besides that, < 10Mb sounds like a fine
size, and 15 levels are more than enough to make the game appear
polished. So all in all, it sounds like a good choice!

BTW, we talked about physics in games. That reminded me of the Faling
Sand Game, which let pixels represents elements like sand, oil, water,
fire, etc. Here are some screenshots:
http://www.piettes.com/fallingsandgame/screenshots.html

BTW2, I have attached a map.png, which still need its texture.jpg.. I
think it's kind of pretty ...

 - Kasper