help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Liquid War 6

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Re: Liquid War 6
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:26:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Wed, July 15, 2009 5:37 pm, Timothy Anderson wrote:
> Got it. So you want the HUD (and HUD text) to have the ability to
> change color with the map (i.e. map-maker's defined colors) and you
> want it to be scalable for compatibility with multiple resolutions.
Perfect hit, you got it.

> I am curious how you plan on implementing the graphics though. I can
> use Inkscape to work on the HUD proper, and save the files in .svg
> format? Will that work on your end? That way you would get your
> scalability, with it being in a vector format, and it would probably
> be easier for you to work with, the .svg format using xml code, if I
> remember correctly. You may possibly know more about that than me.
Well, as of today I'm not likely to implement (nor re-use an existing)
complete SVG engine. This is quite complex and maybe overkill compared to
what is needed. The point is using SVG as a standard, one might give the
illusion that the complete SVG norm is supported, which certainly won't be
the case.

Practically, what I need is an SVG, a PNG, JPEG (screenshot), whatever,
with explanations on how you imagine it should be handled. An SVG might be
interesting for you might just resize it yourself and tell me "this is how
I view things with a 1:1 ratio" and "this is how I view things with a 16:9
ratio". As of today I have no real precise idea how I'll implement what
you'll come with, I just need to see it.

> Anyway, I'll take into consideration everything you need in the HUD,
> and get you some possible layout and design ideas, which is what I
> believe you want at this point.
Note that I gave you a list of "what should be displayed" but even this
list could be updated. The perfect situation is if it displays usefull
informations for players ;) I think time left, players/team informations
and chat box are a must have, but there can be other priorities. Expect it
to be a step by step work, we'll probably need to try and test a few
layouts before coming with the final idea. I don't believe in "first plan,
then do" approaches. We need to try stuff out and then we'll be able to
decide wether it fits or not.

> I'll also look into the "score chart".
> I personally liked LW5's version of it, but I'll think about it, and
> try to "class it up" a little more.
Yeah, and, typically, the score chart was *not* my idea, it's my wife who
came out with it. She just sketched it on a piece of paper and I
implemented it. Although the hud might sound more work, I suspect the
score screen is more important. One thing that needs to be taken in
account is that the gameplay will evolve with LW6. There'll basically be
two game modes. One is the one you know : when time is over, one counts
fighters, or if a team eats everyone else before time is over, it's the
winner team. The other game mode is a "respawn mode", typically suited for
network games, where any team which dies reappears on the map, with a
"frag" counted negatively. You just count frags at the end of the game. I
have no idea wether that could influence the score chart. Yet another
point : there can be up to 10 teams.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--