Re: Slow speed

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Slow speed
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:29:39 -0400

%% "David Julien" <address@hidden> writes:

  dj> Is there any reason that gmake rev 3.73 would run much much faster
  dj> than rev 3.79.1?  I am using gmake for Windows 95.

As far as I know, the first version of GNU make to support Windows was
3.75, so I don't know where you got a version 3.73 for Windows, much less
why it would be faster.

The only thing I can think of offhand is that the older version is
invoking COMMAND.COM to execute the commands in the rules, and the newer
version is using some kind of shell which is slower to invoke.

Check out README.W32 for different ways to build GNU make.

  dj> Also, is there a version that would support Windows 2000?

As far as I'm aware you can build 3.79.1 on W2K.  I think some people
have had minor issues such as the batch script failing the first time
and various compiler warnings, but if you try it again and ignore the
warnings I've had people tell me that it did build for them.

I don't have a W2K system (I don't have any Windows system at all,
actually) so there's little more I can say than that.  Maybe others here
will know.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/