Re: unwanted implicit rule

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: unwanted implicit rule
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:47:04 -0400

%% Nicholas Leippe <address@hidden> writes:

  nl> I'm attempting to add rules to a Makefile to handle
  nl> QT Designer .ui files.  The dependencies are as follows:

  nl> foo.ui (the source file created by QT Designer)

  nl> foo.ui.o       <- foo.ui.cpp     (implicit %.o:%.cpp)

  nl> however, when I run, it creates the following implicit
  nl> dependency:

  nl> # Not a target:
  nl> src/simple.ui: src/simple.ui.o

  nl> I have no idea how this is happening, nor what hat it's
  nl> pulling the command for the rule from.

You can use "make -pf/dev/null" to see the complete builtin implicit
rules list.

In there you'll find a rule "% : %.o", for building executables.

You want to remove that one.

  nl> In an attempt to get rid of it, I tried adding an empty implicit
  nl> pattern rule:

  nl> %.ui: %.ui.o

You have to actually do this with the rule it's using in order for it to
take effect.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/