Re: unwanted implicit rule

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: unwanted implicit rule
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 19:19:04 -0400

%% Nicholas Charles Leippe <address@hidden> writes:

  >> You can turn off implicit rules by running GNU make with the -r
  >> flag...for example:
  >>
  >> $ make -r all

  ncl> A good suggestion.  I tried this.  Apparently, it seems to not
  ncl> only disable the built-in implicit rules, but also the implicit
  ncl> rules defined in the Makefile itself via a pattern rule

That's not true.

I added a "%.o: %.cpp ; cp $< $@" implicit rule to the sample makefile I
sent in my previous message, then ran it with the -r flag, and it worked
perfectly.

There must have been some other difference in your makefile.

As these things all work for me, there must be something about your
makefile or environment that is not described in your email, that's
causing the problem.

A sample makefile such as I sent in my previous message that
demonstrates the behavior you're seeing is the only way for me to
explain it to you...

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/