Performance

From: Krzysztof Horecki
Subject: Performance
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:15:47 +0200

Hi All

I implemented auto-dependencies after reading Paul's article, but as
number of .d files generated grows, performance drops. So I try to find
out where can I win those msecs. After make -d:

Reading makefile `../db/db.mk' (search path) (no ~ expansion)...
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.

What do all these SIGCHLDs mean? ~ expansion?

Are there any thumb-rules regarding make performance?

as I tried to launch make -r other problem arised. Following rule chain
doesn't work anymore, ie. touching .x files did not result in a rebuild:

%_xdr.c: %.x

%_$(OBJ_CODE).o: %.c

$($(MODULE)_LIB): $($(MODULE)_LIB)($($(MODULE)_OBJS))

Kilu

--
AutoForm Engineering GmbH

Tel: +41 1 445 2121