Re: unwanted prerequisities

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: unwanted prerequisities
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:46:35 -0400

%% Krzysztof Horecki <address@hidden> writes:

  kh> I wonder why I can't do it by:

  kh> % :: %.w

Oh, I see what you're saying.

This doesn't work because it's not the same as the built in rule.  You
can only cancel a rule by using the _same_ target and prerequisite
pattern(s) as were used to define the rule.

In this case, the pattern used to define the rule (use make -pf/dev/null
to see the complete list of built in rules) is:

  %.c : %.w %.ch

So you have to use exactly that pattern to get rid of it, not "% :: %.w".

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/