Re: Not rebuilding dependencies

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Not rebuilding dependencies
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:23:14 -0400

%% Jason Elbaum <address@hidden> writes:

  je> I don't think you understood my question.
  je> I have a system with:

  je> a: b

  je> b: c

  je> I've already run 'make b' and I'm satisfied with the build of
  je> b. Now, running make again, I want to make a if b has changed. But
  je> I don't want to remake b, even if c has changed since the last
  je> time I made b. I want make to treat b as up-to-date for the
  je> purpose of making a.

You can tell GNU make that "c" is old, even if it appears new, by using
the "-o" option, as in "make -o c".  Now, since "c" looks unchanged "b"
won't be rebuilt, but "b" will still be newer than "a" so "a" will still
be rebuilt.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/