Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make

From: Martin d'Anjou
Subject: Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:33:55 -0400 (EDT)

>   md> bsub is a command that picks the least loaded machine on my
>   md> network.
>
> If it works for you, that's good.  However, note that GNU make can be
> built with support for distributed builds, and I think you'd get much
> better behavior from using one of those methods than trying to "roll
> your own".

It's now my own. Check out http://www.platform.com/. We use their load
sharing facility software (LSF) to dispatch simulation jobs (thousands
each week). It's been out for years, rock solid, re-starts jobs even those
killed by complete electrical power failures, has queueing mechanisms. Are
you sure PVM isn't re-inventing the wheel?

Nevertheless, I'm definitely taking a look at the pages you suggested.
Thanks.

Martin