Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:46:52 -0400

%% "Martin d'Anjou" <address@hidden> writes:

  md> bsub is a command that picks the least loaded machine on my
  md> network.

  >> If it works for you, that's good.  However, note that GNU make can
  >> be built with support for distributed builds, and I think you'd get
  >> much better behavior from using one of those methods than trying to
  >> "roll your own".

  md> It's now my own. Check out http://www.platform.com/

I get "operation timed out" trying to contact that server.

  md> We use their load sharing facility software (LSF) to dispatch
  md> simulation jobs (thousands each week). It's been out for years,
  md> rock solid, re-starts jobs even those killed by complete
  md> electrical power failures, has queueing mechanisms. Are you sure
  md> PVM isn't re-inventing the wheel?

PVM has also been out for years.  I can't say anything more in
comparison because I don't know anything about LSF... and not much about
PVM either :).  Anyway, you'll have to take that up with the PVM folks.

  md> Nevertheless, I'm definitely taking a look at the pages you suggested.

You should consider integrating LSF support directly with GNU make;
check out the remote-cstms.c and the one provided by PVM; it should be
quite straightforward to provide a "remote-lsf.c" file that can enable
distributed builds through LSF.