Re: functions allowed in prerequisite list?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: functions allowed in prerequisite list?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:00:40 -0500

%% gk <address@hidden> writes:

  g> Suppose I have a target file: 'foo.PATTERN.c'
  g> I want to this target to have a prerequisite:
  g> 'someDirectory/PATTERN.anotherSuffix'

 foo.%.c : someDirectory/%.anotherSuffix

?

  g> I seem to recall some mention of this but can't find it in make
  g> 3.79 manual.  I could not find make 3.80 html manual available
  g> anywhere online and the source distribution gives no instruction on
  g> how to build html form texinfo sources.

I'm trying to find out how to update the GNU web site.  So far there's a
lot of discussion but no conclusions.

To build the HTML version, type "make html".  You will need to have the
texi2html package installed.

Info format, that comes pre-built with GNU make, is FAR better than HTML
format anyway, though.

  g> I want 'make foo.PATTERN.c' to make PATTERN I do not know what the
  g> explicit value, PATTERN, will be ahead of time so I cannot simply
  g> use it in the pattern rule.

  g> I'm looking for something along the lines of the following
  g> (although suffix function isn't quite what I need):

  g> %.c: $(suffix $*) %
  g>    @echo $@

  g> PATTERN:
  g>    @echo $@

Sorry, I still don't understand what you want to do.  Please provide a
more realistic example using actual filenames and describing the way you
want make to behave when it sees them.