GNU Make Question about string replace in dependency list

From: DeMarco, Paul
Subject: GNU Make Question about string replace in dependency list
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:16:09 -0500

I am having trouble with my makefile rebuilding cpp files when it shouldn't

I absolutly could not get separate directory compilation working: be in the object dir with source in another dir, it's for cross platform dev.

So I fell back to old faithful:
node.o: $(SRC)/node.cpp $(INCL)/node.h
    $(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(SRC)/node.cpp

but I realized that there would be a lot of maintenance since I couldn't get the suffix rules to work properly I decided to save myself some work by using this:

node.o: $(SRC)/$(@:.o=.cpp) $(INCL)/$(@:.cpp=.h)
 $(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(SRC)/$(@:.o=.cpp)
Unfortunatly it rebuilds way too often when it shouldn't.  Is this an acceptable method of constructing a dependancy list?

    -- Paul