Re: How to install 2.80 without disturbing 2.79 installation?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: How to install 2.80 without disturbing 2.79 installation?
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:38:35 -0500

%% gk <address@hidden> writes:

  g> How to install 2.80 without disturbing 2.79 installation?

I guess you mean 3.80 and 3.79.

  g> The INSTALL file with make 3.80 doesn't really cover this. I am not
  g> clear on the effect of various ./configure options

Such as?

  g> I would like to install 3.80 but do not want to overwrite make 3.79
  g> executable or info files.

Not overwriting the executable is easy: use one of the --program-prefix
/ --program-suffix / --program-transform-name options.

These options don't apply to the info files however, as can be inferred
from their names.

  g> I need to test my makefiles with both versions.
  g> $make # should run 3.79
  g> $make380 # should run 3.80
  g> $info make # should run info with make 3.79 file
  g> $info make380 # should run info with make 3.80 file

Probably the safest way to do it is to run "make install" with a
different prefix, or use DESTDIR, and put the 3.80 install somewhere
else.  Then you can move the files to where you want them, and call them
what you want, by hand.