Re: Make bug?!?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Make bug?!?
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:59:47 -0500

%% Nathan Huizinga <address@hidden> writes:

  nh> I'm experiencing some strange behaviour from GNU make version 3.80.
  nh> running on a Gentoo/Linux machine with tcsh as my default shell.

  nh> When running "make", everything build just fine.
  nh> But when running "make clean", it spits out the following message:

  nh> `cat -s GNUmakefile Makefile makefile |& sed -n -e "/No such file/d" -e
  nh> "/^[^     #].*:/s/:.*//p"`: No match.

  nh> and stops building the given target.

Note that make does not use either your shell (tcsh) nor bash to run
scripts.  It always uses /bin/sh (unless you reset the SHELL variable
inside your makefile).

On a Linux box it's often the case that /bin/sh is bash, but not
always.  You might check that (I'm not familiar with Gentoo Linux).

  nh> When running the same two commands in a bash shell, it works as
  nh> expected.

  nh> I also discovered that "gmake" is a symbolic link to "make" and
  nh> gives me the correct behaviour when I run "gmake clean" in my tcsh
  nh> shell.

  nh> So my question is: "What's the difference between 'make' and
  nh> 'gmake'?", because "gmake" is 'only' a symbolic link to "make"?!?

There is none.  make does not look at its name and change its behavior.

  nh> Another opservation is that this behaviour is NOT present in GNU
  nh> make 3.79.1.

You are going to have to provide a sample makefile that exhibits this
problem.  Probably just the clean target is enough.  Please don't send
thousands of lines of makefile: reproduce the problem with the smallest
example you can and send that along with the commands you executed and
the output you received.