Intermediate File Deletion. Why?

From: Ashley Yakeley
Subject: Intermediate File Deletion. Why?
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:58:44 -0700

Why does make delete "intermediate files"? When is this _ever_
desirable? Someone clearly went to a great deal of effort to implement
this bug^H^H^Hfeature.

I frequently do various clever things with rules in my makefiles, and
_every time_ I have to work around intermediate file deletion (using
.PRECIOUS), or else end up perpetually rebuilding stuff. I'm just about
ready to fork the make codebase. Why? Why? Why?

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA