Re: any tool(or gmake option) to rewrite GNUMakefiles into plain-make Ma

From: Jens Schweikhardt
Subject: Re: any tool(or gmake option) to rewrite GNUMakefiles into plain-make Makefile ?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:09:24 +0200

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 04:52:59PM +0300, Yakov Lerner wrote:
# Please let me know if you know of a GNU-compatible distributed make.
# The need for distributed make is not widespread.

No, I don't know of a GNU-compatible distributed make.

# > Can equivalent output be produced at all (It can't for all GNU features)?
# Yes, given the current state of directories and env.variables.
# The output can easily be generated from internal tables of gmake after
# parsing the makefile. The output will depend on the current state. That's
# what I need. In my case, the output will be generated every run, by the
# script.
#
# > Who could spend the resources to do it? What's your conclusion?
# The easy way to do it is to hack the gmake sources, adding the option
# for this. I could do it, given encouragement of one of gmake maintainers.
# Are you a gmake maintainer ?

No, rather a semi-expert in (g)make and portability who had to deal with
various idiosyncrasies in make implementations of all shapes and sizes.
Distributed make however has until now not been something we needed in
our project. We rather follow the "keep it simple" principle if we can.

Regards,

        Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.schweikhardt.net/