Re: make and c++ exceptions

From: Steve Hutton
Subject: Re: make and c++ exceptions
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:47:47 -0400

On Saturday 06 September 2003 10:26 pm, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> Certainly.  A "$" by itself is assumed to be the beginning of a make
> variable.  If you want a literal "$" to appear in your shell script you
> escape it by using "$$".  Make will reduce the "$$" to "$" when it
> invokes the shell (GNU make will print out the command that it invokes
> just before invoking it).

Ok, makes sense.

>   sh> Ok, this is about as simple an example as I can create - should
>   sh> only take a few seconds for anyone to compile and make:
>
> Hm.  Your catch/throw example works fine on my system: from both the
> shell and make it exits with 0.
>
> I tried it with GNU make 3.79.1 on a Debian GNU/Linux system with GCC
> 3.3.1, glibc 2.3.2, and bash 2.05(b).0.

Thanks for trying it.  I have been using gcc 3.2.1 here under Gentoo (on a
transmeta crusoe based system).  I also have several versions of gcc installed
locally.  I just tried 3.0.4 and 2.95.3 and they both return 0.

I wonder if when called through make, the program somehow loads the wrong
version of libstdc++ or glibc?

Steve