Re: forcing a rule

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: forcing a rule
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 15:24:13 -0500

Hi Paul,

> I don't know what you mean by "in the meantime".  $$@ was added in 3.80
> which came out over a year and half ago.  Also, you should ask the folks
> pushing that patch how long they waited for it :-/ :-).

Well, accounting for technical difficulty of $$@ vs $(lastword ) I would
guess that should have been at least a few years ;-)

> Finally, note that you can already do "lastword" using the current set
> of functions.  It's not as efficient, surely, but it is possible.

I agree with all that you've said. But I still think it's a bad
practice to silently ignore patches and effort people put in
creating them. I for example went an extra mile and added
documentation for $(lastword) so that it would be complete.

-boris