Re: GNU make, gcc, and auto-dependencies

From: Travis Spencer
Subject: Re: GNU make, gcc, and auto-dependencies
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:55:54 -0800

I think I've figured it all out.  After changing from .p to .P files,
make stopped bugging me about needing the Pascal compiler.  Even after
this alteration, modifications to source code weren't causing
rebuilds.  This problem was because the prerequisite file had targets
like this:

build/main.o: main.c
main.c :

By removing the build directory name from the target during the
generation of the prerequisite file, make then knew to rebuild the
object code when the source files was altered.

Doing this presented one final obstacle: make kept rebuilding each
file during successive invocations.  When I removed the dependency on
the build directory as suggested, this was fixed.

My current version is at
http://www.travisspencer.com/stash/makefiles/general.txt.

Thanks to Alexander, Ken, and Paul for all of you help.  I couldn't
have done it without you.

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer